Travel of a child abroad with both parents

  • English
  • Български
  • Русский

Travel of a child abroad with both parents

In the member states of the European Union, you can only travel with an identity card of an adult citizen, but for all other countries outside the EU, you need to present an international passport /red passport/.

When children of Bulgarian citizens travel abroad with parents who are Bulgarian citizens, there is a certain specificity only according to the age of the children.

Travel of a child up to 14 years of age

Children under the age of 14 are minors and do not have an identity card.

When such a child travels abroad, it is necessary to have an international passport. For the issuance of an international passport, it is necessary to submit an Application to the unit for Bulgarian identity documents at the Directorate of the Ministry of Internal Affairs at a permanent address or in any Regional Office at the relevant regional directorate. When submitting the application, the presence of both parents or authorization by the absent parent is mandatory.

When traveling abroad, in addition to the international passport, carry the child's birth certificate, which you can present when requested by the authorities.

Travel of a child over 14 years of age

According to the Law on Bulgarian personal documents, upon reaching the age of 14, every person must obtain an identity card that is sufficient for traveling abroad /a country in the European Union/

In this case, it is a good idea to carry the child's Birth Certificate again for reference.

Pleasant trip!


 Travel of a child abroad with both parents
 Travel of a child abroad with both parents
All fields are required. Please fill the verification code